Corn Terminology and Corn-Free Munchies
Click any of the products below to see our corn-free guide. Each product will provide the brand name, food allergies, ingredients, and nutrition facts (when available).
In addition to helping buy Korean snack and grocery products this guide serves as a resource for people with food allergies, celiac disease or other food restrictions. This is in no way an extensive list of Korean products available. There are several companies who are creating new and innovative products everyday.
If you have found an allergy-friendly Korean snack please share a review on the Korean Convenience app!
If you have a sensitivity or food allergy to corn buying snacks or beverages require extra precaution when reading ingredient statements. There are many variations that corn may appear on product labels. Listed below are ways corn can appear for a reference.
Common Corn By-Product Names:
- Corn syrup
- Corn starch, starch, modified food starch
- Fructose or crystalline fructose
- Glucono-delta-lactone: also known as GDL is often found in cured meats
- Free Fatty Acids: monoglycerides and diglycerides
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Malt, malt syrup, malt extract
- Maltodextrin, dextrin
- Mono-Sodium Glutamate, also known as MSG is often derived from corn
- Sucrose – can come from cane sugar, however some labels read from corn
- Vegetable oil, vegetable broth, vegetable protein, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, vegetable mono or diglycerides
- Zein – the principal protein from corn
Other corn by-products to look out for include: caramel flavoring or coloring, xanthan gum, and sugar (glucose).
Corn Free – Korean Snacks
Homerun Choco Ball
Ivy Low Sugar Cracker
Cream Wafer Original
Yukgaejang Noodle Potato Chips
Candied Sweet Potato Chips (Mattang)
Digit Choco (thin cookies)
Kanu Mild Roast Coffee
Green Tea (brown rice)
Pocari Sweat – ION Supply Drink
Maxim Top Smoky Black Coffee
Barista Rules Americano
Seoul Coffee Milk
Seoul Original Milk
Nut Milk Porridge
Seoul Organic Milk
Power Cap – Soda Popsicle
Crispy Seaweed Chips
Oi-Ocha Green Tea
Five Grain Rice
References Used: By-Product Of Corn
Nebraska Corn Board “Products Of Corn“, and from the University Of Rochester “Corn-Free Diet-Pediatric Nutrition“.
Click here for other Korean Convenience snack guides including Dairy-free, Egg-free, Fish-free, Gluten-free, Peanut-free, Peach-free, Shellfish-free, Soy-free, Sesame-free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, and Wheat-free editions.
* Always be on the alert for hidden corn ingredients or changes in the manufacturing processes. Don’t forget to always read the labels before consuming a product. *
Looking for more brands free from the top 9 food allergens, gluten or vegan options?
Download the Korean Convenience app today!
Keep In Touch
Do you have a Korean snack or grocery product you feel should be on the lists? We would love for you to share the details on our Be Our Partner form.
Please let us know what ingredient we’re missing or product that should be removed by replying in the comments down below, shooting us an email at email@example.com or using the contact us form so that we can update our product information.
Have any other questions? Feel free to check out our other FAQs or reach out to us!
Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe for more updates!